New for 2023:
- We will only be accepting businesses selling original, handmade items. Unfortunately, this means that resellers will not be able to participate.
- Tents will not be provided, but are strongly encouraged, as the fair will be taking place outdoors. If you don't have a tent, no worries, as we will be able to put you under shade.
Why should I participate?
First off - it's incredibly FUN. You'll be able to meet tons of new friends and interact with experienced mentors along the way!
Even if you aren't interested in business as a future job, creating and running a business young allows kids to gain a variety of skills for any career, in a very hands-on way:
- Money management
- Customer service
- Creative thinking
- Time management
- ... and more!
How do I apply? Can I apply as part of a group?
- Applications must be submitted online. Please submit one application for each business.
- Children working as a group should submit one application that includes each child’s information.
- No more than 3 participants per business.
Remember that if you need to back out after applying, please let us know at least 14 days in advance and contact us through this website, or firstname.lastname@example.org!
What happens after I apply?
We'll be reviewing all applications and will get back to you within 5 business days. Once you're admitted, get started on your business! We'll have a pre-fair informational session several weeks before the event, to go over how the fair will work.
What if someone else has the same business idea?
Two cupcake businesses? Not a problem. In general, we will let market forces play out, though if we receive more than 3 similar businesses, we will let later entries know if another applicant has a similar idea so the later entrant can decide what to do.
What will be provided?
- The fair will be an outdoor event. Each business will be provided with an 8-foot table and 1-3 chairs.
- Depending on sponsorships this year, kidpreneurs may also receive a Children's Business Fair tshirt and coupon for ice cream from a downtown Naperville business!
What will NOT be provided?
- Unfortunately, we are not able to provide overhead tenting to booths. Bringing your own tent is strongly recommended, though, as this is an outdoor event.
- Electricity, water, and WiFi will not be provided.
- Access to Naperville Central bathrooms may or may not be provided.
What are the rules?
- This event is designed to give children the experience of selling a product or service. If a parent is found selling or promoting a child’s product or service, their child’s business will be disqualified from the competition.
- Parents of younger children may sit in the booth, but the children should be responsible for set up, customer interaction, and sales.
- Parents may help their child fill out the application, but we expect the children to do as much as possible by themselves.
How did the Acton Children’s Business Fair get started?
Jeff and Laura Sandefer wanted to spark a sense of entrepreneurship in their children so they created the first Acton Children’s Business Fair in Austin, Texas, in 2007.